I guess in the midst of dealing with AB and her "special needs" I haven't thought about the boys being sick or having "special needs" as they appear healthy. Unfortunately, last week at the boy's yearly physical - the dr. detected a heart murmur in D. Our dr was very encouraging and I tried not to worry as much about it. Wednesday, we had an appt with a pediatric cardiologist and the great news is that the heart murmur is what they call an innocent murmur and structurally his heart is fine. Unfortunately, during the EKG they detected an irregular heartbeat. I still don't really know what all this means. We went home with a holter ECG (portable heart monitor) for him to wear for 24 hours so they can determine if its a "consistent" or "inconsistent" irregular heartbeat. Is anyone else as lost as me???? Apparently - a consistent irregular heartbeat is a "low serious" abnormality whereas an inconsistent irregular heartbeat is a "high serious" abnormality and requires further testing. Also, D's heart is smack dab in the middle of his chest directly under his breastbone - not common but not unheard of either (fortunately no issues associated with this).
I have to say that the dr was great and she was wonderful with D. Why do they have to say "low serious" and "high serious" - isn't serious, serious???? I don't understand. Basically, what I do understand is that I know nothing. And another thing, while I'm at it, what 5 yr old complains of chest pains. The dr kept asking us if he was complaining of chest pains - he doesn't like swimming class now, why, does its hurt? I don't freakin know if it hurts - I thought he was just being a typical 5 yr old and didn't want to do the swimming strokes - now I don't know. Than let's follow up with "do you have any questions". I have no freakin clue what you said - I just found out my son who has always "appeared" healthy and active now has a heart problem and I just found out 2 minutes ago - no, I have no questions. Someone please calm me down.
"Several deep breaths later". OK - I'm not a bad mom. A few hours later, I came up with a whole bunch of questions and when we turned the portable monitor back in, I left the questions with a nurse asking her to have the doctor call us to answer our questions. I guess I was in such shock and still am that I just didn't know what to ask or where to start at. I don't want to overreact but I also want to know what we're dealing with as well and know what to look for. It's going to take a week or so to get the results back from the 24hr monitoring and we should know more than. Till than - it's just worrying for me.
Friday, March 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment