Friday, January 8, 2010

Adoption

I read a post the other day about adoption and attachment/sensory issues. It made me think about AB and the challenges that she's overcome in such a short time. The words that come into my mind quickly about AB's personality are sassy, loving and definitely stubborn. It seems so long ago that I held her for the first time. Those first days she just shut down, she could barely walk, would moan all night yet want me to hold her everywhere and at all times. 15 months later and 3 surgeries later, I think she had done a 180, so to speak. We still have issues with control and security (thus her stubbornness), but it seems like every day we get a little better. She still fears large crowds and does not like to be alone in a room but that is to be expected and is getting better. I can't remember when I noticed the change but now if I leave the room she doesn't panic at first but instead call out "mommy" and looks before panic. She has the need to be in complete control of all situations but she's learning to let go and that part is slowly getting better. We no longer have "night terrors" which is great. Overall, I can't think of the situation going as well today as it is - to think of all the major traumas in her life and to see where she is now is nothing short of a miracle by God.

And now for a parting with D humor. Conversation between D and myself:

Mom - "D did you want to go and spend some of your gift card money you received from Christmas?"

D - "No, Save More and Live Better mom".

Now that's either one smart boy or I have to give thanks to Walmart (can't believe I'm writing this) for their ad and chastise myself for letting my child watch obviously too much tv, so much that he's memorized the ads.

No comments: