Thursday, October 9, 2008

Baiyun Mountain

Today, we went to Baiyun Mountain, which is the tallest mtn in Guangzhou but not very tall. The one thing I will always remember about Baiyun Mtn is the steps. Can I first say that this trip is really telling me that I'm out of shape. If I haven't lost at least 10lbs by the time I get home it will be a miracle. By the way, we took the cable car to avoid the steps but we still had a lot of steps. It was very beautiful and the Chinese culture continues to amaze me - all the people just exericising there and dancing and singing. It's very beautiful. There are groups of people in their 60s playing hackeysack - I can't play hackeysack. So many people outside and enjoying the day, I can't remember a single moment in the US where I see people in the park dancing or singing, etc. And incredibly nice - I shudder to think how we would treat some of these people if they were in the US on vacation. Always saying hello (in English) and saying what a pretty girl to Alyssabelle, smiling, etc. It's very eye-opening.
Alyssabelle is still not liking daddy but we're working on it. She has however really bonded to me and now will not even grab our guide, Elsie's, hand or go to anyone else. She is still tires easily and we were able to get through with only one nap today (she tried to sleep in the morning but we were at Baiyun Mtn and all the steps). And let me mention again that she loves hats and bracelets!!!! We took her down to the playroom today and she was somewhat overwhelmed, but we did get her to play with some blocks (she really liked) and a big ball while we were there.
Well I hear her stirring in her sleep so I better get going. I keep waking up at around 1a and I'm going to try and lay down for another couple hours before getting up. We are going to the Chen Clan Temple and a park this morning. Hopefully there won't be as many steps.

No comments: