Friday, October 10, 2008

Park & Temple

Yesterday was my favorite sightseeing day thus far, despite having a blister on my foot and back killing me. We went to XiuXiu Park with is amazing. Again everyone dancing and playing the hackey sack all over the place. We even heard some Cantonese Opera. There is one other family here doing the sightseeing with us and they adopted a 2 1/2 yr old and they brought their 9yr old daughter with them. The 9yr old went out and was dancing with this large group of ladies and they have been just fawning over her - she is a really pretty and sweet girl. Alyssabelle did really well climbing up the stairs - she lacks strength and tires very easily so we've been trying to make her walk as much as she can. She did throw a small temper tantrum at the park as she wanted me to hold her and I had to firmly telling her that we were walking. She's very stubborn, she decided to walk after that but walked so slow you could barely tell she was walking. Oh the joys!!!
The temple was absolutely gorgeous. Brad took lots of pics that I'll have to post while you are all sleeping later in the day. The city wall in the park was 600 years old and the temple was much much older. The temple is where they used to worship ancestors. They also had many statues and embroidery art there that was amazing to say the least.
We also went to KFC for lunch yesterday. That was an event. We were there without our guide and trying to watch Brad translate was quite amusing. They brought out a different menu with all kinds of food choices and Brad was trying to tell her that he wanted a kid's meal. Finally figured out the kids meal but they gave us hot wheels so Brad had to than ask for Barbie while I held up Alyssabelle. We did get our food though. I also opted to try ham and pineapple pizza last night for dinner, it was pretty good but a little dooey. Yes, we are going to have authentic Chinese food as well. We are going to attempt to go to either tonight or tomorrow to Cow & Bridge Thai Restaurant - I'm told it's very good. Also for our last night as a group, our guide has planned for dinner at a Cantonese Restaurant. I'm sure we'll have some interesting food choices there.
Today, we're going to the Guangzhou Zoo. It's going to be hot and lots of walking - but I hope Alyssabelle likes seeing the animals. I think this will be the most fun for the kids. It's also supposed to be about 2 or 3 degrees cooler but when it's in the 90s with about 90% humidity does 2 or 3 degrees matter - we'll report back later.
Boys - I know that you are down at the Oktoberfest and hopefully having lots of fun. We have to leave at 9a China time and 9p your time so I don't know if we will get a chance to call you guys. We will try but if not we will talk to you tomorrow morning before the soccer game. Love you boys!!! Best be good for the next couple days as tomorrow is our free day and we're going souvenir shopping. We miss you and will see you soon!

No comments: